>> Go << I'm taking the GPS plunge. Now that my son is almost 8, I want to take him on trips -- mostly the outdoor kind. While camping does not necessarily turn me on (unless it's a nice cabin!) I do enjoy hiking, plan to get more into kayaking and also want to do geocaching with my son -- it's like an outdoor treasure hunt. Based on my research the Magellan Meridian Gold and Platinum models are amongst the best for people with common needs. There are cheaper models with less functionality available from Magellan and other manufacturers.
Some of the basic functions of this unit include:
- 12-channel GPS unit with 16 MB base map, barometer, and 3-axis digital compass
- Built-in database of U.S. cities, interstates, major roads, and airports
- Secure Digital memory-card slot for expanded storage
- Waterproof; rugged, ergonomic design
- Oversize gray-scale screen with backlight; backlit keypad